Who is Ian Durrant?

Ian Durrant is a former professional football player and coach from Scotland who is currently assistant manager at the semi-professional club East Kilbride.

Durrant started his playing career at Rangers. He made his debut versus Greenock Morton in April 1985. The following campaign, he was a regular first-team player and netted in his first Old Firm match.

Ian displayed his early promise to spectators with his showings alongside fellow youngster Derek Ferguson in the Scottish League Cup finals of 1986 and 1987 (scoring in both games and also converting the match-winning shoot-out penalty in the latter).

In October 1988 Ian (then aged 21) was seriously injured in a challenge by Aberdeen‘s Neil Simpson which tore the cruciate ligaments in the right knee. Durrant didn’t play competitive football for almost three campaigns.

After one failed return in early 1990, the midfielder made his comeback appearance in a reserve fixture in the winter of 1991 against Hibernian and was welcomed back by around 30,000 supporters.

Durrant’s league return was also versus Hibs towards the end of that term, and Ian started the crucial winner-takes-all game against Aberdeen in May 1991 which secured the title for the Gers. In 1993 Ian sued for damages against Neil and settled out of court for an undisclosed fee.

He went on to play a part in the UEFA Champions League run in the 1992–93 season (netting against the French side Marseille at the Stade Velodrome) and helped the Gers equal Celtic’s record of nine consecutive league championships, the last of which was claimed in 1997.

Despite his injury woes he played a total of 346 competitive matches for the club, scoring 45 goals, and lifted six League trophies, four League Cups and three Scottish Cups.

In 1998, along with club teammate Ally McCoist, Ian transferred to Kilmarnock. The midfielder spent four campaigns at Rugby Park before retiring and becoming manager of the youth team.

Durrant made 101 appearances for them including seven games in the UEFA Cup, and the Scottish League Cup Final in 2001.

He made his international debut in September 1987 against Hungary, eventually winning 20 caps for his country. His final appearance was as a Kilmarnock player, against the Republic of Ireland in May 2000.

In 2005, Durrant returned to Ibrox as coach of the U19s and, later, the reserve team. After the resignation of Paul Le Guen as Gers manager in 2007, Ian was interim manager until Walter Smith was appointed head coach.

Ian left Rangers in the summer of 2016, before being demoted to a role with the U20 team.