Who is Mark Hateley?

Mark Wayne Hateley, nicknamed Attila (the ruler of the Huns from 434 AD until 453AD) during his time in Milan, Italy, is a former football player who played as a striker.

He was born in the city of Derby, England on 7 November 1961. Mark’s father, Tony Hateley, was also a professional footballer who also acted as a centre-forward for clubs including Chelsea, Aston Villa and Notts County.

Mark trained with Nottingham Forest whilst still at school, however, the Englishman was rejected by then-head coach Brian Clough who didn’t believe he was sufficiently talented.

Upon quitting school, he signed for Coventry City and started his professional career, playing over 90 matches in the First Division before switching to Portsmouth in the Second Division in the summer of 1983. He netted 22 league goals for the club in the 1983–84 season.

In 1984, he moved to A.C. Milan for £1 million. Mark is remembered fondly by the Milan supporters for a historic and decisive match-winning goal he netted in a 2–1 win over Inter in the Milan Derby on 28 October 1984.

Arsene Wenger then signed Hateley for AS Monaco back in 1987 and the forward was part of the team which claimed the French Division 1 title in 1987–88.

After three seasons at Monaco, he returned to Britain in a £1 million transfer to Rangers on 19 July 1990. Boss Graeme Souness had attempted to bring Mark to Ibrox three years earlier from the Rossoneri.

Hateley became an important part of the Gers side, and was voted player of the year by the Scottish Football Writers in the 1993–94 term.

He netted 87 Premier Division goals for Rangers and hit 112 goals in all competitions. The club were league champions in every campaign that Hateley played for them, as the team went on a run of nine consecutive league titles which lasted from 1989 until 1997.

After featuring in 165 League matches with Rangers he was transferred to Queens Park Rangers in the autumn of 1995, for a sum of £1.5million.

In early 1997, with the Gers trying to win their ninth successive title, and with a huge injury list, boss Walter Smith desperately needed a forward and re-signed Mark for £300,000 for the vital match, which they won, against the club’s biggest rivals, Celtic.

Mark played four times in his second stint at Rangers, scoring once, and moved to Hull City in July 1997, where Hateley acted as player-manager. He managed the Tigers from the summer of 1997 until November 1998.

The attacker ended his playing career with the Scottish outfit Ross County in September 1999 but only played two matches for them.